Saturday 9 October 2010

One song, three versions

There are songs that take me back to certain moments in my life, others remind me of the different seasons, others I like to listen when blogging and others that reflect on my state of mind or help me to get to certain mood.

This post is about a song that I never tire of listen when I’m a bit down and need a little help to carry on. It’s a classic. The song is (Your Love Keeps Lifting Me) Higher and Higher which was written by Carl Davis featuring some Motown musicians and sang by Jackie Wilson. This is the original version.


 
This second version is by the Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band. When I grow up I’d like to be like him.



And the third one I want to show you is by ACM Gospel Choir and it was performed in the very entertaining BBC program Last Choir Standing.


Of course, one of these three versions is the one I like the most; I’ve got my favorite. But I find things that I appreciate in each one of them. I love the cool movements and voice of Jackie Wilson plus the original Motown feeling about this version. Also I like the energy of the Boss in a more rocker version. And lastly the exuberance youth that emanates from the choir (who said choirs are not cool?). Maybe it’s a bit simplistic but I think there could be a lesson here on multiculturalism, tolerance and appreciating the good that different things have to offer. Am I being too naïf? Can you see good things on all the three versions?

No comments:

Post a Comment