Sunday 3 October 2010

Diego Maradona’s sheer madness

We all love Diego, don’t we? No, of course not everybody loves him. His figure will be controversial for our lifetimes and beyond. I know I love him. I loved it to death as a player and I love now the character, the public persona (not so much the coach, I am afraid to say).

This week he went to Moscow for promotional activities. In the press conference, he put up again his case to regain the position of Argentine National football team coach and was duly – and fairly – criticized for the manner in which he did so. In this article (in Spanish) in La Nacion, Argentine newspaper, the columnist points to Diego’s lack of self-criticism, of ability to learn from past mistakes, of coherence and of respect for other people including Sergio Batista, the current interim coach.

But I am digressing here. The reason I love him now is for his sheer madness, his ability to amaze, to bring a smile to my face with his charisma and eccentricities. In Moscow, participating in a charity event, he had to shoot some targets to raise money the institute of hematology and transplantation in the Russian capital. He hit 10 out of 16 targets (although carrying an injury in his knee) and raising US$ 500,000. As usual, he put a real show.

The 2010 World Cup in South Africa was a painful experience for Argentine fans with a sad exit in a heavy defeat to Germany in the quarterfinals. But if there is something I would remember with joy, these are the “Diego Moments”. Via You Tube: Diego smoking a cigar in training, domesticating the somewhat controversial Jabulani ball and re-affirming his macho-condition in front of the press. Are you sure you don’t love him?

No comments:

Post a Comment